The Best Ceramic Car Coating Explained
Every car looks great when it’s new. That’s a big part of the rationale behind purchasing a new vehicle from an area dealer. However, without proper care, that showroom-fresh look won’t last. One of the newest strategies for keeping your new vehicle looking great is applying ceramic coatings.
Why Is Maintaining a Vehicle’s Paint Important?
The paints used for today’s vehicles are actually pretty rugged, but they won’t hold up forever. When a vehicle is neglected, it won’t be long before water spots, various stains, and swirl marks start marring the paint. When the neglect goes on for too long, the end result is needing the vehicle repainted.
The cost of repainting a vehicle will vary, but industry statistics suggest the average cost will range between $1,000 and $3,000. That’s not a minor investment. In addition, the owner will be without that vehicle for several days while it’s being prepped and painted.
If the car is traded or sold, it’s value will be considerably lower when the paint has been neglected. A simple look at one of the used vehicle pricing sites will demonstrate the difference in selling prices between vehicles in good condition and those that have not been maintained.
Of course, the majority of vehicle owners would also rather drive a vehicle that looks good than one that’s obviously been neglected. That means some effort must be invested in maintaining the vehicle’s finish.
Exploring Your Options
When it comes to maintaining a vehicle’s paint, the time-tested method most often used is waxing. It’s true that frequent waxing will, indeed, go a long way toward keeping a vehicle’s finish looking good. However, waxing a vehicle, especially a larger SUV or truck, is time-consuming and hard work. That means most vehicle owners don’t wax their vehicles as frequently as they should.
Sealants are also available to keep vehicles looking nice longer, but they also don’t last forever and will eventually need attention. The sealants applied by dealerships are quite expensive, and many dealership employees don’t really take the time necessary to do the best job applying the sealant.
Today, one of the better alternatives available for keeping a vehicle looking like new is ceramic coating, which is also referred to as nano-ceramic coating. However, since the process is relatively new, most vehicle owners are not really familiar with the pros and cons of ceramic coatings.
What Benefits Do The Best Ceramic Car Coatings Offer?
Before anyone invests in a ceramic coating for their vehicle, it’s important to understand what types of protection the coatings provide. While there are obvious benefits, there are a few that most vehicle owners won’t appreciate until after their vehicles are coated.
- The best ceramic coatings reduce the odds of swirling and staining. That assumes the vehicle owner following our advice when washing the vehicle but, in general, a ceramic coating makes the paint’s surface better able to repel dirt and minimize any staining.
- Washing is far easier. When a vehicle’s paint is not maintained, it becomes more difficult to clean. That’s because the different types of contaminants are better able to get a solid grip on the surface. Ceramic coatings prevent that from happening, making it far easier to wash the vehicle. Ask our team why that beading you see after a ceramic coating is applied means your vehicle won’t be difficult to wash.
- Increased values are normal. When a vehicle has a ceramic coating applied, the owner will often find it easier to sell, as the car or truck will simply look nicer. Savvy buyers are also starting to recognize the value of ceramic coating and will appreciate the addition.
- The coatings protect the vehicle from harmful UV rays that are major causes of oxidation and fading. That’s especially important if your vehicle is stored outside.
There are other excellent reasons to consider ceramic coatings, but these are the most common. The best way to determine if investing in ceramic coatings is appropriate for your vehicle is to discuss your needs with an application specialist.
What’s is the Best Ceramic Car Coating?
Coatings like Mr. Fix 9H are premium wax alternatives designed to last longer and provide a long-term strategy for keeping a vehicle looking its best. Ceramic coatings are liquid polymers that actually bond with a vehicle’s paint to provide an advanced degree of protection. That means your vehicle will look great for longer without having to be waxed all the time.
What Owners Should Not Expect from the Best Ceramic Coatings
One of the problems with all types of paint protection products is that manufacturers and some shops applying the protectants tend to exaggerate the benefits of their products. We won’t ever do that, and we always expect customers to understand that even the best coatings cannot protect a vehicle from some common threats.
- Coatings won’t prevent rock chips. While a ceramic coating may prevent some damage from very small rocks, chips can still occur. Other products, like Clearbra, are better able to prevent rock chips and similar damage.
- Parking lot dings will still occur and have to be dealt with. Again, minor scratches may be more easily treated when a ceramic coating is applied, but deeper dings and chips cannot be prevented with any coating.
- Swirl and brush marks from lower-quality car wash providers will also show even when a ceramic coating is applied. Care should always be taken when choosing a facility to wash a vehicle to prevent damage. Stay away from car wash facilities using harsh, coarse brushes.
- Hard water spots are less likely when ceramic coatings are used to protect the paint. The water will, instead, easily roll off the vehicle rather than leaving mineral deposits that mar the paint.
It’s always important to understand how to properly care for your vehicle. When ceramic coatings are applied, there are specific techniques we recommend to properly maintain your vehicle’s ceramic coatings.
- Wash the vehicle often. Don’t allow dirt and grime to remain on the vehicle, as chemicals in debris can harm the coating and the vehicle’s paint.
- Use quality materials. That includes cleaning products, microfiber mitts, and soft, absorbent towels for drying.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals like bug removers, as they can damage any premium coating product.
- Follow the advice or pros. If you’re unsure how to best go about washing your car, truck, or SUV, go to YouTube or similar sites for more information.
We also recommend reviewing some basic information about cleaning strategies on our site after the ceramic coating is applied to your vehicle. It’s not hard to use proper washing techniques, and doing a good job doesn’t really take any longer than rushing through the cleaning process.
How Long Will the Best Ceramic Car Coating Last?
That’s not really an easy question to answer, since there are multiple variables involved. For example, a vehicle that’s garaged and rarely driven will not need a reapplication of a ceramic coating for several years. On the other hand, a vehicle that’s exposed to the elements and driven in highly polluted areas may need a reapplication sooner.
In all cases, however, ceramic coatings last far longer than even the best waxes available. That means, instead of having to rewax a vehicle every three or four months, our ceramic coatings are expected to provide superior protection for several years.
Can Owners Apply Ceramic Car Coatings?
The short answer is yes, it’s certainly possible for vehicle owners to pick up one of the do-it-yourself ceramic coating products at a supply store and apply the coating. However, industry experts tend to recommend leaving this job to the experts, as improperly applying the coating will not provide the results people expect. In addition, the cost of DIY products can be quite high, which means having the experts handle the task is probably the best option.
If you’ve got questions about the process and why having an expert apply a ceramic coating is advisable, feel free to contact our team of experts for advice.
Can the Process Be Used on Older Vehicles?
Of course! However, the amount of prep work is greater when a ceramic coating is applied to an older vehicle. The surface must be carefully cleaned to ensure all contaminants are removed. That’s a far more complicated process than is required when applying a ceramic coating to a new vehicle. Of course, that extra labor also increases the price, but the end results are certainly worth the investment. Again, we’re always available to explain what steps are needed for specific vehicles to obtain the best results.
How Much Does It Cost to Apply the Best Ceramic Car Coating?
As you should expect, it costs more to apply a ceramic coating than it does to detail a vehicle using a simple wax formula. Not only is the product itself more expensive, there is more labor involved. However, there are several other factors that impact the cost of applying a ceramic coating.
- Size always matters. The larger the vehicle is, the more it will cost to apply a ceramic coating. That means it’ll be more expensive to protect a large truck than it will to coat a sub-compact car.
- The vehicle’s condition will impact the application cost. As noted above, older vehicles will require more preparation before the coating can be applied, meaning the total cost will be somewhat higher.
- Correcting paint flaws will also increase the final cost. When chips, scratches, or chemical damage must be corrected, the cost of the application will go up accordingly. That’s another good reason to consider applying a ceramic coating when a vehicle is new, as the chances of paint issues developing are reduced when we coat new vehicles.
- It also tends to cost more to have true experts apply a ceramic coating. Some smaller detail shops will charge a little less but don’t have experienced staff members who really know the ins and outs of applying ceramic coatings to all types of vehicles. However, the cost difference here is minimal, which means you’ll get our vast experience at an affordable price.
The best way to determine the exact cost of applying a ceramic coating to a specific vehicle is to contact our team for more information.
Why Choose Premium Detail Pro?
Perhaps the best reason to choose Premium Detail Pro is that we love cars, trucks, and everything mobile. That means you can always be assured we’ll treat your vehicle as if it was our own. Not all shops will make that claim, but we think it’s important.
We carefully train every employee to provide the best service in the industry. No one wants to pay for a service and be less than impressed with the results. Far too many shops hire just about anyone and turn them loose to work on clients’ vehicles without verifying the employee’s knowledge or ability level. That’s not our policy. We always want every client to expect real value from our services.
Of course, only the best products will deliver maximum satisfaction. That’s why we use only the best products on our client’s vehicles, including the best ceramic coating products available. In addition, we select the best tools to properly deliver quality service to our customers. Regardless of the job you’re trusting us to complete, you can always be sure our shop never cuts corners.
We’ll Be Here When You Need Us
Many shops open and close every year. Premium Detail Pro has been providing our customers with premium products for years, and we’re not planning on going anywhere. For you, that simply means we’ll be here when you need us. While that ceramic coating will last for years, we know that problems can develop over time. When you need the best automotive care in the region, we’re a quick call away.
Still have questions about the best ceramic car coating and how they benefit vehicle owners? Our online FAQs section is designed to answer most questions our clients have posed in the past. However, we also know that some situations are unique. If your question isn’t answered in our FAQ section, feel free to contact our team for more information. Call the shop or stop in for advice.